Senior citizen discounts
Taking advantage of senior citizen discounts may reduce your retirement costs and free up funds for other activities. “Every dollar can really add up,” says Sara Skirboll, a shopping and trends expert at RetailMeNot. When looking for discounts, always keep your identification handy, as some places will ask to see a form of ID to check that you have reached the qualifying senior discount age before applying any promotions. The amount you save might depend on factors like your age or whether you use the discount on a certain day of the week or month. “Some discounts and offers are only available for specific dates or times, and the age requirements vary from place to place,” Skirboll says. Here’s a list of great deals for senior citizens.
Restaurant senior discounts
Promotions for seniors at restaurants might only be available on certain days of the week or at certain locations. “Many restaurants have senior menus, but even if they don’t you can often snag something like a 5% or 10% discount when you dine in,” says Julie Ramhold, a consumer analyst at DealNews.com. Look for these restaurant senior discounts:
- 10% off purchases for seniors and a free drink at participating Arby’s locations.
- Denny’s 55-plus menu, which offers discounted prices for seniors.
- Discounts on beverages and coffee at participating McDonald’s locations.
- IHOP’s 55-plus menu, which offers deals for seniors.
- Outback Steakhouse offers 10% off to AARP cardholders.
Retail senior discounts
Some retailers provide a senior discount on a specific day, such as every Wednesday or the first Tuesday of the month. “Plan ahead before going,” says Lindsay Weekes, deputy editor at Brad’s Deals. Watch for these retail senior discounts:
- Amazon Prime: Offers a discounted membership to those with a Medicaid card.
- Kohl’s: Offers a senior discount of 15% every Wednesday.
- Michaels: 10% off most purchases, including sales items, every day for those age 55 and older.
- Ross Stores: Features 10% off for seniors every Tuesday
Grocery store senior discounts
Supermarket deals for seniors often vary by location and may only apply on certain dates. Check with your local branch to learn about specific senior discounts in your area. Keep an eye out for the following grocery store senior discounts:
- BI-LO: Offers 5% off on a specific day at participating locations.
- Fred Meyer: Includes 10% off on select items on the first Tuesday of every month for those 55 and older.
- New Seasons: Gives seniors 10% off on Wednesdays on select items.
- Hy-Vee: Seniors get 5% off on Wednesdays at participating locations.
Hotel senior discounts
Certain hotel chains offer discounted rates for seniors, though you may have to look for them. “Sometimes you can book directly on the hotel’s website to receive this rate, but other times you might have to book specifically through something like an AARP page for a particular hotel,” Ramhold says. A few notable hotel senior discounts:
- Best Western: Seniors can save up to 15% when booking reservations.
- Cambria Suites: Offers up to 10% off with advance reservations to those 60 or older and AARP members.
- Choice Hotel: Grants AARP cardholders and those 60 and over a 10% discount on advance reservations.
- Marriott: Offers a 15% discount or more to those 62 and older on stays at participating locations.
Car rental senior discounts
Before renting a car, ask about discounted rates for those above a certain age. Look for these car rental deals for seniors:
- Avis: AARP Members can save up to 30% off Avis base rates.
- Budget: Up to 30% off at participating locations for AARP members.
- Sixt: Provides a 5% discount for seniors.
- Thrifty: Offers 5% off to those age 50 and older.
- Hertz: Savings of up to 20% for travelers 50 and over